Welcome!

Hi everyone! I'm delighted to welcome you to my blog! I have not been active in a long time but recently I have made a promise to upload more stories and poetry this year (fingers crossed!).
Meanwhile enjoy the few poetry and stories I have put up and I hope this visit will inspire you to come again!

- Adebusola


Thursday, January 10, 2013

Wet Hair by Eghosa Imasuen



"I see my father look at the white foreign dogs with new eyes, trusting eyes. I see that he has new sons already, to replace the daughter he has just lost. The daughter he lost when he handed me as a gift to the leader of the visitors from across the sea. There will be no Igbadai for me, no inquiry into the cause of this tragedy. I am lost."
                                         - Excerpt from Wet Hair by Eghosa Imasuen

I recently read Eghosa Imasuen's new short story titled Wet Hair from one of the blogs I follow and I literally couldn't stop reading. The imagery in this book is captivating and he writes like he pours his soul into the words. 

Wet Hairs tells the story of Tonye, an Ijaw girl who was raped and killed by a Portuguese sailor living on the Ijaw land. Tonye was wronged by her own, her father, who sold her into marriage to a Portuguese sailor in exchange for trinkets. Tonye's one mission after she is killed is to avenge her death from beneath the sea... in her new form.   

The story reads like a poem but is a prose which gives it a two-dimensional side to it. It is also soulful with dark elements of revenge and murder; sad to put it simply. But if you are a lover of cryptic fiction, you'll have a blast.

You can find a link to the short story here...

No comments: